FRENCH PRIVATE SCHOOL OF ODESSA
ACADEMIC YEAR 2017 – 2018
The LLC “French Private School” manages the French Private School of Odessa, situated in Odessa, 4B, Varnenskaya street. This institution provides education from pre-school to the high school’s ending for the children from Ukraine, France and other countries.
The conformity of pedagogical management is controlled by the Agency for French Teaching Abroad (AEFE). Founded in 1990, the Agency for French Teaching Abroad is a public national institution under control of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It provides the public service missions ofeducation for the French children residing outside France, helps promoting the French language and culture and strengthening the relations between the French and foreign education systems.
These rules exist to ensure the good organization and the safety of the pupils and the staff.
The school is a place devoted exclusively to education and teaching. These rules are established in the best conditions to learn living in community, the sense of responsibility and therights and the duties of everyone involved in the school community.
The school is founded on the following principles:
- Quality of teaching.
- Respect of political, ideological or religious (secular principle) ideas.
- Duty of respect for others.
- Guaranteed protection against any physical or mental abuse and the resulting duty for everybody to use no violence without exception and to reprove use of violence.
- Obligation for the pupils to participate in all activities scheduled in the timetable and required in the official progams.
- Timetable respect ENTRANCE / EXIT.
- Respect of the facilities and equipment available to all.
STRUCTURE AND TEACHING ORGANIZATION
The structure and teaching organization of the French Private School of Odessa are in conformity with the instructions of the Ministry of French National Education. They are in accordance with the official documents published in the Official Bulletin. The teaching staff will make all necessary adjustments to get in accordance with the published decrees.
An adapted education in the Ukrainian language is taught to all pupils (from CP to CM2) in accordance with the instructions of the Ministry of Ukrainian National Education(for the children of all nationalities). The teaching time is every Wednesday and Friday in the afternoon.
The teaching of English is part of the compulsory education. It is in French programs from CP.
The pupils in the pre-school also receive a dailyadapted education in Ukrainian language and an introduction to English.
ORGANIZATION OF THE ACADEMIC YEAR
The school calendar is issued each year. It is validated by the inspector of AEFE, the Department of Education and Science of the Odessa’s region,some adjustments may be made to take account of host country’s national days and local celebrations.
The number of working hours will be equal or superior to the schools in France.
It is established before the end of the academic year for the following year at the School Council.
The director has to comply with the ministerial decisions of the host country to close the school if security conditions arenot respected.
Timetable of pre-school, primary school and CNED
8:30 to 11:30 and 13:00 to 16:00 on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
8:30 to 12:30 Wednesday and Friday
Reception of the pupils
It is imperative to respect the timetables below.
- For the pupils in pre-school, the reception is done in the classroom between 8:20 and 8:40.In the afternoon, the children are given to the parents in the classroom at 16:00 (at 12:30 on Wednesday and Friday).
- For the children from CP to CM2, the reception is done in the courtyard between 8:20 and 8:30. In the afternoon, the children are in the courtyard at 16:00 (at 12:30 on Wednesday and Friday).
- For the CNED pupils, the reception is done in the courtyard between 8:20 and 8:30. They go out in the courtyard after the end of the lessons.
- Before the official entry time (8:20) and after the exit time, the children are under the responsibility of their parents.If a pupil leaves the school during the school time, he has to be with an adult, a child alone cannot leave the school during the school hours.
Communication between parents and teachers
- A free reception is held each morning from 7:30 in the cafeteria or in the courtyard. A paid daycare is held daily until18:00. (See the financial conditions). The families can use this service regularly or occasionally. It is essential to inform in advance the administration or the teacher.
- The teachers are responsible of the children during the school hours.
The teachers and the director are available by appointments before or after school hours to receive the parents.
A first meeting takes place in each class during the first half of September.
At the beginning of each academic year, the school organizes the election of the parents’ representatives who will sit on the School Council.
The elected parents facilitate the interaction, communication between the parents and the school. Their role is essential because they :
- are at the disposal to the parents
- ensure a permanent contact with the director and the teacher
- are the spokesmen of all parents in the School Council.
A School Council is held every quarter.
The report is sent to all families by email.
The pupils are evaluated in terms of conduct and skills. A skills evaluation book has been conceived and has to be completed each quarter. This book is the same for the entire cycle. It is given to families for signature(s) for each quarter, for final evaluation. it must be returned to the school and be attached to the student’s file.
During their presence at school, the children are under the responsibility of the school staff. During the school hours, each teacher is responsible for the pupils present in the class. During the playtimes, the children are under the responsability of the teachers on duty.
However, each teacher, supervisor or assistant must exercise their discretion if there is the misconduct of a pupil or group of pupils or a situation that seems dangerous.
The school must provide everyone a calm atmosphere, the teaching staff takes all the necessary measures to do it.
Any serious or repeated incident will be communicated to the parents.
The attendance is taken every day. The absences are excused only by health or family reasons. The parents immediately notify the school by phone or email.
Any absence is justified by a written document signed by the parents, stating the reasons for the absence.
In case of a contagious disease, a medical certificate of non-contagion is required for the return of the pupil in the class.
The school holiday calendar must be stricly observed. No early or extension of holidays are possible without preliminary agreement with the teacher and the director.
Pedagogical and field trips
During the academic year, pedagogical and field trips can be organized according the school project, initiated by the teachers and in agreement with the families. The costs of these trips may be paid by the families wholly or partially.
The teaching staff informs the parents about the practical details of the trip (time, place, financial participation …). The parents may be asked to help with the supervision of the pupils.
The financial participation of families may be required before the trip.
The director is responsible for the safety and has the right to cancel any trip that does not meet the requirements of the existing official guidelines.
The school bags, pencil cases and crayons, markers, pens, eraser… are paid by the families. The rest is provided by theschool. The CNED pupils bring all their equipment except the books that are loaned to them for the academic year.
Any object that endangers others will be removed from its holder.
The books and notebooks will be covered. Due to the significant amounts spent to provide free school supplies, the students need to take care of the books and notebooks. A damaged or lost book will be paid back or replaced.
It is not recommended to bring jewelry and more generally anything of value, the school can not be held responsible for any loss, theft ordeterioration.
At school, the hot meals are served in the cafeteria. Snacks are not provided. The pupils who stay in school longer than 4 hours after the lunch mealcan bring an extra meal. For the prices, look at the financial conditions.
The lunch is held from 11:30. to 12:30.
During the lunch break, the children are underthe responsability of the adults supervising the cafeteria. The rules of good behaviour must be respected during the lunch break.
The extracurricular activities that will be organized in the school must be approved in advance by the director. These activities are open only to the children enrolled in the French School.
- Entrances and exits (from or to the class) are orderly.
- No pupil may remain in the class without an adult present.
- During the recesses, violence, brutal play is forbidden.
- It is forbidden to bring into school any object or product that could be dangerous. The parents are responsible for the material that the pupils bring and these materials must be limited to the needs identified for study. The clothes must be correct and in compliance with the requirements of the school practice.
- The cell phones must remain off in the school for the primary school pupils, only school phones will be used for communication during school hours.
- The CNED pupils can only use their mobile phone in the courtyard.
- Insurance is compulsory.
- In case of accident or illness, the parents are notified immediately by phone. The school will call the services of Emergency if the accident shows signs of severity and / or complications.
- The parents are responsible for any accidents on the way from home to school (and back). Similarly, their responsibility may be required in case of damage resulting from the failure to respect of these rules.
- The medications can be administered only upon presentation of a medical prescription.
- The fire / natural disaster safety is organized. Two simulation trainings will be held during the academic year.
- The evacuation plan is posted at the school and, in addition to the disaster simulation exercises, some special safety lessons will be done.
It is expected that all pupils, under the control of the school staff, take care of the school cleanness inside and outside.
There is no uniform in the school, however correct clothes and in compliance with the school standards are required.
The soap and towels dispensers guarantee the hygiene of the children. The pupils are required to use them appropriately without degrading and strictly limiting the use of towels for drying hands.
Any allergies (food or cleaning product) must be reported at the beginning of the academic year on the information sheet provided for this purpose.
The school staff / assistants will help the youngest children to go to the toilet.
The older children can go to the toilet only under the supervision of an adult.
If it is necessary, the children will be changed by the assistant preferably with personal clothes provided by the families.
The teacher and the assistants ensure that children eat snacks and meals in hygienic conditions and in a calm environment.
PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT AND THE RULES
These rules are approved by the School Board during the first quarter. Any changes will be sent to the families and pupils.
They will be given to any adult involved in the education of the children.
The parents must be involved in the application of these rules and recommending their children to comply with the requirements, ensuring attendance and school work, necessary for the scholars success. These rules will be read and discussed in the classrooms as often as appropriate.